The Banana Bread recipe was a favourite of my mate Chris’ mum who let me have the recipe. Perhaps dating myself with this one as all the measurements are in imperial…..
The thing with this recipe is it improves the more over-ripe the bananas are. So it works really well when you discover your bananas have gone beyond their best but you don’t want to waste them. Tip – the more over-ripe the better!
- 8 oz Plain Flour
- 1 tsp Bicarbinate of Soda
- 0.5 tsp Salt
- 4 oz Butter
- 8 oz Sugar
- 2 medium Eggs
- 2 Mashed Bananas
- 3 fl oz Milk
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 oz Chopped Walnuts ((optional))
- Sift together flour, salt and bicarbonate of soda
- Cream butter, gradually adding sugar
- Mix well, add the eggs and bananas and blend thoroughly
- Combine milk and lemon juice (it will curdle)
- Slowly and alternately fold in flour and milk mixes, starting and ending with the flour mix
- Stir in walnuts and then pour batter into a greased/lined 9x5x3 loaf tin and bake in the oven at 350F/180C/gas mark 4 for 1 hour or until springy and cooked (i.e. a cooking spike will come out cleanly)
If the above steps look too complicated, I’ve found that you can add everything in one go and mix it all together, and it still works 😀
Be the first to comment on "Banana Bread"